1. Guest - Remember that Thread Prefixes are a search tool! Click on a Thread Prefix and all threads with the same Prefix in that forum will be offered to you. To dismiss click on X >>>
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Our gif only content threads have a rule where all thumbs must be posted as a static thumbnail that does not play. Currently imagebam made a change where they no longer produce static thumbs. Therefore, please do not use imagebam, or any host, that provides live playing gifs in those specific threads. If you see your gif playing once you post, try to use a smaller thumbnail and if that does not work use a different approved host.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Can't Log-in?. If your password is no longer accepted but the email address registered in your profile is working, use the "Forgot Your Password?" routine. However, if your registered email address is unusable, create a new temporary phun account and contact S-type.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. ATTN: Imagehost picpie is infected with the "internet security warning" redirect that tries to take users hostage with an inescapable redirect. Avoid using picpie as an imagehost.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Too many Alerts? Why not adjust your "Alert Preferences" in your Profile Page?
    Dismiss Notice

Selective Color Images........

Discussion in 'Creative Backyard' started by kaos42000, Apr 29, 2009.

1. TheRiver

TheRiver temporarily a little out of order. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Movers & Shakers

2. kaos42000

kaos42000 Living after midnite ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ Ten Years of Phun

3. whats2u

whats2u SelenaDreams

Anne Hathaway Avril Lavigne Demi Lovato Emma Roberts Hayden Panettiere Hilary Duff
    Miranda Cosgrove Reese Witherspoon Selena Gomez Vanessa Hudgens Whitney Port

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. TheRiver

TheRiver temporarily a little out of order. ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 15 Year Member Original Phun Crew Movers & Shakers

5. Innu3ndo

Innu3ndo

Catrinel Menghia (1920x1200)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Original Images

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Cy

Cy X-No-Archive ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆ 15 Year Member

And it's an excellent collage as well Innu. :tup2: Especially like the work around the hand. That must have been time consuming changing and getting the fabrics just right. Excellent!

That ones a real challenge to duplicate. The colorings a snap, but the collage is a lot of work.

Innu3ndo likes this.
  7. Cy

here's my most ambitious color edit to date.

[​IMG]
    the original pic:
    [​IMG]

I started this long ago while gman was getting started, and he was a great help in critiqueing it. I finally finished the hair on the far left today. i always found it difficult to get the saturation right on hair with light shining thru it, and that section stayed unpainted till today. I finally went with the minimum color from a 6px sample of thenear side of her head at 5% saturation. It might seem a little pale, but how much color is there in bleached hair with that bright a light thru it? Sadly, I saw another pic, different pose, from the shoot later and found out the wall should be Chinese red. :oops: Since it's been in the making for about 6-7 years now, any thoughts? Anything broken?

8. whats2u

whats2u SelenaDreams

Ashley Tisdale Emma Watson Hayden Panettiere Taylor Momsen

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Inuk

Inuk insert witty comment here ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member

hayd was wondering if there was any way of doing this with GIMP?

10. whats2u

whats2u SelenaDreams

Never used Gimp but I'm sure you can. I desaturate the image and bring back the colors with the history brush. Love the effect :)

11. kaos42000

kaos42000 Living after midnite ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ Ten Years of Phun

excellent work CY!

Cy likes this.
  12. Cy

Of course. i use gimp all the time. All my work is done in gimp, inkscape and apophysis7X

13. haydaddict

haydaddict Smiley King ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆ 15 Year Member

Because my brother inuk...was probably lazy when he placed the question...;)....my question was...
    Anyone could tell me the steps to take...just like some did for Photoshop in the early pages?
    And...GIMP has a history brush????:confused:

14. whats2u

whats2u SelenaDreams

Carrie Underwood Hayden Panettiere Hilary Duff Leelee Sobieski Miranda Kerr Taylor Swift Vanessa Hudgens

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Innu3ndo

Innu3ndo

no ones posted in here for a while so i made a quick one...

[​IMG]

16. Cy

The way i do most, if the pic starts out color
    1 open pic
    2 add an alpha channel if it's a jpeg
    3 do your white balance & normalize process to get a good base.
    4 make a duplicate layer
    5 desaturate your new layer
    6 add a layer mask (propeties of mask= black, & check inverted)
    7 use normal paint brush either black or white to add or remove material from your mask in the places you want
    8 when you like it, apply the mask, (remember it's just a mask so if you arent happy fill it and start over, you havent touched your layer at all)
    9 when you've applied your mask goto your toolbar "layers" and "create new from visible"

Now you have a new layer of what you created + you still have the old separate work layers available to work with...

10 Save that sucker as an XCF file to keep layers
    11 Save a copy as a jpeg or png and post it ;)

That's the best way, not the fastest.

Fastest, (not as usable tho)

open a pic
    add alpha channel
    dupe layer
    choose top layer
    desaturate
    use erasure tool to remove part you dont want
    save as jpeg
    done

The main problem with the fast way is you lose your edit capability, you dont have as fine a control, you lose the layers, you cant use it later to learn things like channels or new plugins, etc. Sometimes if I dont give a shit and it's just quickie trash I go the fast way, but never on anything I care about. Learning layers and masks isnt hard at all, and once you practice abit you can use it to make great stuff. All my merges are done with masks anymore, like the MM sig i just did for Dreamy. The erasure tool is just for selection touch ups anymore. When I finally figure out masking channels, the color thing will really get cool. Imagine you create a mask of a certain image and save it.
    Then you take another image and separate it's channels RGB (basically you now have the pic in total red, total green, total blue. When all are turned on you see a normal pic) Now here's the spiffy part.

Turn off the red channel
    Apply the mask you saved to the remaining blue and green channels
    turn red back on

Whabam. You now have the original masked pic overlaying your total 2nd pic, but only in total red, or cyan, depending on how you made your mask. Channels are my next big thing. I've been working on masks for the last year or 2, and i'm about ready to tackle channels. After channels, I move on to Paths (atm, i only use paths to bend text, which is about as noob as you can get with them apparently) we'll see.

haydaddict likes this.
  17. snowghost

snowghost

tintii is a cool plug for photoshop that will do this for you with out having to go through all the steps in photoshop

So few know the advantage of plugins, they do all the work of photoshop with just a couple clicks

NateIcon and Cy like this.
  18. bdr529

bdr529

19. suider

suider

some that i did for an iphone4 background project... hence the sort of odd size...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Funkyboyroy, Ollie, whats2u and 3 others like this.
  20. whats2u

whats2u SelenaDreams

Emma Roberts Hilary Duff Selena Gomez Shakira Taylor Swift Victoria justice Whitney Port

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

TheRiver, nightd, Innu3ndo and 7 others like this.